Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Eye on the Prize

So 3 days of official training down: 2 miles Monday (meh), 2 miles Tuesday (blah) and rest day today (OH YEAH, THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT KIDS!).

I have spent a lot of today pondering this whole big training, giant goal thing. I don't like running. Let me just get that out there. I WANT to be a runner, but I don't enjoy it. I like the IDEA of being a runner and I certainly want the body of a runner. The part I DO like is how I feel after I'm done running. Seriously, I was running both Monday and Tuesday and quite honestly, thinking "wow, this really blows." BUT after I was done I felt like "OH I CANNOT WAIT TO RUN A MARATHON!" So today I was thinking, it's really the prize I want not the process. I don't care about doing all this training stuff, but the thought of crossing that finish line in Chicago gets me almost giddy! Guess what? That's how I feel about my Jesus too! I want HIM but not this life. AND, I think that's good and bad. I mean AWESOME that what I want is Him but I really should slow down and really train and enjoy the process of getting to Him for eternity too.

I was running yesterday and I was listening to some secular music (GASP) and it was amazing to me how God was showing me HIM even in those songs. It's like I feel Him just calling to me during the time I'm out there ENDURING the run. Not ENJOYING, but ENDURING. And isn't that so true of our God? When we are just ENDURING, not ENJOYING, God is always forever pursuing us. He is our prize.

"I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Philippians 3:14 (ESV)

Another run tomorrow - I will update more then!

2 comments:

  1. Heather Busby HannerApril 29, 2010 at 11:24 AM

    HB - Crazy how I found your blog but glad I did. Praying for your training. You CAN do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blog and you are inspiring me to start my own blog about this journey too. I love you and I'm so grateful I get to cross the finishline with you!

    ReplyDelete